Friday, August 23, 2013

Surviving as a Low-Detail, Small-Size Builder

In my previous post I mentioned how building styles in Minecraft can broadly be measured and compared by size, detail, and functionality. I also said that I scored low in size and detail. Some might think that because anyone scores low in these regards, that they are bad builders. I don't think this is true. Here are a couple builds I have made recently.



You can see these houses are not bloated with detail, nor are they terribly large, but they still look good. They have a quaint look to them. They don't barrage the eyes with too many distracting details. And they're quite easy to build too.

I don't think you need to be able to build huge things in order to be good at Minecraft. In fact I think sometimes stuff can be made too big. After a certain point, things just get ridiculous. But by and large, size does not impact the quality of something.

Nor do you need to be able to put details into every cubic meter of the game. Indeed I think it's possible to have so much detail and flashy patterns that a person can't really appreciate the whole thing. I'm a person who prefers simplicity, and a simple pattern can be just as nice to look at.

If you want to not be frustrated with Minecraft, know your limits. I presently don't have the imagination to make huge, complex things. What I'm good at are smaller things. I also don't have the patience to work on a repetitive project for weeks and months on end. What I like are small projects I can get done in one session. After taking the second picture shown above, I proceeded to add a potato farm, spruce tree farm, and then put a fence around the potato farm. Three separate sessions. I play casually. I'm not a YouTube let's player who has the energy to pump hours into the game. I get things made sooner rather than later, and I like it.

Are you a small builder? Then be the best darn small builder you can be. There's a market out there for you, because not everybody wants to see monolithic builds.