Friday, February 4, 2011

Stage 2 of Design and Construction

I've 98% completed designing the Elohim. I have the room layout figured. What I need to do now is draw out the floor plans. Either that, or make models of them in Minecraft. Development has hit a slight road bump: The file which I have the models in has started acting weird and repeatedly become corrupt. Thanks to Windows 7 I can restore it to an earlier version, but it's been 3 times now and I don't want to keep doing that, if it's technologically possible.

In a sort of Star Trek-ish move, I've conjured up some text that would go on a dedication plaque (or in Classic, would appear when you walked by a special message block:

ELOHIM
First of its class - Launched 3 January N.C.E 301
LBC-01X - Mojang III Shipyards
Chief of Fleet Operations: Fleet Admiral Markus Persson
Asst. Chief of Fleet Operations: Admiral Jakob Porser
Project Manager: Admiral Sean Kiron (my online name)
Design Manager: Admiral (friend's name)
Construction Manager: Admiral (friend's name)

There was also the suggestion that I do this on beta. That could happen in the future. That would allow me to replace the water elevator system with ladders, and I could make actual signs. Actually, there would be more types of blocks available that would make it more realistic. The main problem would be that I'd feel compelled to collect everything legitly or else I'd face some heat and maybe lose credibility.

Something I've forgotten to include in the design, which is interesting to me, is the self-destruct system. If the Elohim were to fall in enemy hands, the best way to stop them from getting some advantage from it would be to blow it up. This was seen in two Star Trek movies ("The Search for Spock" and "Generations"). In Classic, I could just put bundles of TNT blocks in the walls at key areas. I could do the same for Beta, but that's where my interest is caught. What if I put a redstone wire and trigger in the engineering sections that would maybe have a delay, then destroy the ship? Part of me is excited by the thought. I would need to place a memory cell at some points so the rest of the ship blows up even when the source is gone. But let's not get too ahead of ourselves.